Hood cleaning—also known as kitchen exhaust cleaning—employs a range of cleaning methods to rid commercial hoods, fans, and exhausts of any accumulated grease. The hood systems accumulate grease from the rising air and smoke. Generally, the hood system improves the kitchen’s air quality after cooking.
As air is directed into the hood system, the filters catch particles present in the air and prevent them from recycling back into the kitchen. As such, kitchen hood filters can easily become caked with grime and grease. These grease creates flammable residue that can result in dangerous kitchen fires if left unchecked. Hood cleaning helps eliminate contaminants to avoid food and air pollution and to reduce the risk of fire.
Are you looking for professional commercial hood cleaning Virginia services? At Interior Maintenance Company, we provide professional, high-quality kitchen exhaust cleaning Virginia services as part of our general commercial and industrial cleaning services.
Why Should You Hire Professionals for Kitchen Exhaust Cleaning in Virginia?
Professional hood cleaning offers many benefits to commercial kitchens. Our cleaning professionals at Interior Maintenance employ cleaning methods that enhance the safety of commercial kitchen outfits and ensure restaurants adhere to food and personnel safety regulations. Benefits include:
- Industry-Standard Compliance: Regular hood cleaning by certified professionals keeps restaurants in compliance with the National Fire Protection Association’s kitchen hood cleaning requirements. Any kitchens found out of compliance with these regulations risk permanent closure.
- Fire Hazard Prevention: Fire authorities provide codes for restaurants to help minimize the risk of kitchen fires. As a professional commercial hood cleaning company, we fully understand fire code requirements and can remove any flammable buildup in exhaust systems to reduce the risk of fire.
- Health and Safety: Clogged exhaust systems can negatively affect the air quality in your kitchen, creating a hazardous work environment. Further, hood systems are frequently exposed to moisture which increases the risk of mold and bacteria growth that can permeate foods prepared in these conditions, causing illness to anyone who ingests the contaminated food. Regular cleaning mitigates these risks and improves the health and safety of your kitchen.
- Insurance: Insurance companies often have cleaning requirements for hood systems in commercial kitchens. Forgoing regular cleaning or hiring an uncertified company to clean your exhaust system can void your insurance coverage. A fully insured hood cleaning company helps you avoid liability in case of any damage or work-related injuries.
How Often Does Commercial Hood Cleaning Need to be Done?
The frequency of cleaning depends on the type and volume of cooking that takes place in your commercial kitchen. Below are the standard frequency requirements for cleaning commercial kitchen hood systems according to the NFPA Kitchen Hood Cleaning Requirements:
- Monthly: Monthly cleaning is required for exhaust systems in kitchens that implement solid-fuel cooking. Monthly cleaning is also ideal if your restaurant uses charbroiling techniques or you experience high volumes regularly.
- Quarterly: Quarterly cleaning is appropriate for kitchen exhaust systems serving high-volume cooking operations, including wok cooking, charbroiling, and 24-hour cooking.
- Semi-annually: This is recommended for systems running moderate-volume cooking operations.
- Annually: Annual cleaning is recommended for low-volume cooking operations, such as day camps, churches, senior centers, seasonal businesses, etc.
What is the Kitchen Hood Cleaning Process?
- Initial inspection: Our professional cleaners inspect the exhaust system for anything unusual that may require further action, such as repairs or replacement.
- Shut off system: Our technicians ensure the entire system, including the exhaust fan, is turned off to avoid potential damage. We will also switch off all stove and kitchen appliances, stove lights, and gas valves.
- Cleaning preparation: There is the potential for grease splatter during the cleaning process, so we make sure to cover all surround appliances to maintain the cleanliness of the area.
- Begin degreasing: Once everything has been prepped, our technicians apply the degreasing solution and let it set to begin breaking down the built up grease.
- Rinse: To remove the buildup, we pressure wash the entire system and flush the contaminants along with the washing fluids through a funnel into a collection device. Any stubborn areas are manually scraped and cleaned.
- Re-installation: Once we have fully degreased the hood, we remove the plastic coating, polish the hood accordingly, re-install the filters.
- Final inspection: After the entire hood system has been cleaned, our technicians inspect the exhaust system to ensure cleanliness and proper operation. They then apply the mandatory certification sticker on the hood.
- Report and recommendations: Our technicians will provide you with a full report of the cleaning procedures and detailed information about any maintenance issues that need further attention.
Commercial Hood Cleaning in Virginia by Interior Maintenance Company
Commercial kitchen hood cleaning is necessary to ensure safe food preparation and regulatory compliance. Experts recommend hiring a professional cleaner to ensure top-notch hood cleaning to guarantee health and safety, industry-standard compliance, and value for your money.
IMC is a highly reputable hood cleaning company operating in Virginia. We ensure your restaurant kitchen hood achieves peak performance with an appropriate maintenance schedule. Moreover, we ensure you are fully compliant with all relevant codes and requirements. Contact us to learn more or request a quote for our hood cleaning services.